Thread: Cincinnati CO2 Fill Stations?

Registered

Post Cincinnati CO2 Fill Stations?

Hi, guys,
    Anybody in Cincinnati have a CO2 tank? Where do you get it filled? Also, I've heard that there are some types of CO2 you want and some you don't (i.e. beverage CO2 is bad?). How about from a paintball place? TIA.
    Chris

------------------
    1999 Gunmetal Blue Snorkel'd 2.5 TJ
    Intake/Exhaust, 6" RE/RK/SJ, 35" Boggers, Lots of Armor, Dual Hi-pinion 9's, Locked, 4.56's
    My Jeep
    99 TJ

Registered
    Do you actually need CO2 or just compressed air? If you can get by w/compressed air, a scuba shop could probably do it for you (depending on the type valve you have) otherwise a welding shop or fire equipment supply store (they use CO2 to fill certain types of extiguishers). If you were in Dayton, i could point you in the right direction......Costwise, from my experience the fire store would probably be cheaper as they not only fill, but also do the hydrostatic testing on cylinders as required by law so they usually are cheaper because of the shear volume they deal with. (they do testing for scuba shops, paintball shops and a lot of welding shops. Sorry if you already knew all this.......
    2001 Solar Yellow Sport, 5 speed, D-44, Trac-loc, and long list of mod.s awaiting funds.....

Registered

Well, I've got a liquid CO2 tank for my Jeep and just need to get it filled. I've been calling all the local welding shops around here, and they all do simple exchanges on tanks. My tank is brand new, and I'm not exchanging it. I'll check into fire extinguisher shops too. Where do you go for CO2 in Dayton?
    Chris
    99 TJ

Registered

That is odd that an inert gas such as CO2 would be swapped instead of filled. I don't blame you on wanting to keep your own tank. Typically acetylene is the only gas that some suppliers swap out (for safety reasons).

Try to find a Praxair in your area. I would think with an area as big as Cinci, it wouldn't be a problem.

Registered

They do swaps for convenience. That way they don't have to keep track of who's tank is who's and you can get you co2 immediately. Most welding shops in my area will do either, but you have to leave your tank for a day if you want them to fill it.

------------------
    My 97 TJ Sport, D30- TT/Ford 9"- Detroit, SYE, RE 3.5”, 1” body lift, 1” mm's, 35x12.5 SSR's, 6 pt roll cage.
    Her 01 Cherokee Sport - Only Rusty's tow hooks for now.
    97 TJ with too much money into it.

Beverage CO2 is the same as the CO2 you can get at the welding supply store or a fire extinguisher supplier. The only difference is that beverage CO2 may be kept in more sanitary containers. I fill my CO2 tank for my homebrew kegging system at a welding supply store because its close by, and they let me keep my original tank. You're just filling tires, so get your CO2 wherever its convenient for you.

Registered

Try the yellow pages...

Beer Dispensing & Cooling Equipment
    Beverage Dispensers & Supplies
    Fire Extinguishers
    Welding Supplies

All these headings will have some shops that can fill CO2 for you. There will be minor differences in price, service (while-you-wait versus overnight), and location.

I go to a beverage place. It's overnight, but it's the closest and cheapest ($15/10#) non-exchange. If I need my bottle refilled NOW, I drive an extra 15 minute to the fire extinguisher shop and pay an extra $5. The welding supplier is exchange only... Sorry, I'm keeping my new, shiny aluminum bottle!

Mike*A- Yes is has to be CO2. Compressed air is just that, gas at a higher pressure (still only 100-200psi). CO2 is at ~800psi, and more importantly, is stored as a liquid. You get a very high expansion rate just from the liquid to gaseous conversion. A 10# CO2 bottle filled with 100 psi compressed air probably would not fill a single 33x12.5 from 15 to 30 psi. 10# of liquid CO2 will fill 40 tires (33x12.50 15->30psi)!

------------------
    - 01TJ, 4.0L, M5, 31x10.50s, 2" OME, HS9500, TeraLow, J&B SYE, belly-up, and a bunch of home-made parts.
    - 95YJ, Sahara 4.0L, M5, D30/60, ARBs, 4.10s, Warn XCL, 33” BFG ATko
    4w disk, AC, ABS, hardtop, full and 1/2 doors (sold)

[This message has been edited by MoJoe (edited 04-15-2002).]
    - 01TJ, 4.0L, M5, 31x10.50s, 2" OME, HS9500, TeraLow, J&B SYE, belly-up, and a bunch of home-made parts.
    - 95YJ, Sahara 4.0L, M5, D30/60, ARBs, 4.10s, Warn XCL, 33” BFG ATko
    4w disk, AC, ABS, hardtop, full and 1/2 doors (sold)

Registered
    See you should have put that York on.

------------------
    Tom Freier
    Dayton, Ohio
    GPERX4@AOL.COM
    I GOT AIR,YOU GOT HOT AIR.
    gperx4@att.net
    AMC wrote the book.
    D/C wrote the comic book.
    I GOT AIR,YOU GOT HOT AIR.
    Just because it isn't made doesn't mean it won't happen

Registered

i go to a soda pop beverage bottleing factory here in tucson and get my 10# bottle filled for $5.38- on the spot. no wait. too bad you couldn't find a similar deal in your town.

------------------
    GOT ROCKS?
    87YJ/4.2/NV3550/231-4:1/30/8.8/detroits/4.56's/35's

Registered
    MoJoe,
    thanx for the clarification on the CO2. i obviously have no experience in using it for filling tires (though i have quite a bit of experience with using it with adult beverages). i used to run a dive locker and used to carry an old 80 cu. ft. tank (3000 psi compressed air) in my old pickup (pre-jeep days). i'm sure that its alot bulkier than the co2 cans you are talking about though.
    2001 Solar Yellow Sport, 5 speed, D-44, Trac-loc, and long list of mod.s awaiting funds.....

Registered

Ringler Rentals
    HOme Depot
    Desert Storm

------------------
    YJ 4.0 ,Mopar Racing Header, Carquest high flow cat,Borla Muffler, Tornado Air system,K&N Air Filter, air box restrictor removed(I highly recommend it),Bestop Replace-A-Top w/tinted windows, 30 inch A/W Super Swampers, Detroit Rear E-Z Locker, Front Posi-Traction, Smittty Built S/S Twin Tube Front Bumper,Kenwood Head Unit, Two 4" Punch midrange subs w/MTX Tweeters in Truck Boxes, Pioneer 250 Watt Amp, 12" Punch HE Subwoofer, .......so much more to come
    YJ 4.0 ,Mopar Racing Header, Carquest high flow cat,Borla Muffler, Tornado Air system,K&N Air Filter, air box restrictor removed(I highly recommend it),Bestop Replace-A-Top w/tinted windows, 30 inch A/W Super Swampers, Detroit Rear E-Z Locker, Front Posi-Traction, Smittty Built S/S Twin Tube Front Bumper,Kenwood Head Unit, Two 4" Punch midrange subs w/MTX Tweeters in Truck Boxes, Pioneer 250 Watt Amp, 12" Punch HE Subwoofer, .......so much more to come

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dirt_Grinder:
    Ringler Rentals
    HOme Depot
    Desert Storm

</font>
    Home Depot does it?
    Chris
    99 TJ

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dirt_Grinder:
    Ringler Rentals
    HOme Depot
    Desert Storm

</font>
    By the way, is your Jeep dark green? I may have seen you around the Kenwood area before.
    Chris

------------------
    1999 Gunmetal Blue Snorkel'd 2.5 TJ
    Intake/Exhaust, 6" RE/RK/SJ, 35" Boggers, Lots of Armor, Dual Hi-pinion 9's, Locked, 4.56's
    My Jeep
    99 TJ