Thread: Do you need lockout hubs to put in a front locker?

Do you need lockout hubs to put in a front locker?

I was ready to order a locker (probably a No Slip) for my dana 30 when I called Tractech to ask about the EZ locker and the engineer recommended not put a locker in the front of a TJ unless I have lockout hubs. He said you are turning the locker all the time and it can cause unpredictable steering behavior, even in 2 high.
    I have read a lot of posts and it seems that quite aa few are running LockRights and No Slips in their front ends. Do you notice any problems ? What about increased wear or drag?
    I know a TJ front axle does not have the vacumn disconnects like a YJ but what is the difference when running in 2 high?

------------------
    White 2000 TJ, 33x10.50 BFG AT KO, 3" Teraflex lift and quick disconnects, SSV shocks and stabilizer, 4:10 gears and trac-loc, tow hooks front and rear, Brushguard, 2 fog & 2 driving lights, fire extinguisher, CB radio, tow strap, synthetic fluids, 2.5 four banger, 5-speed, 4.0 throttle body, K&N filter, free flow muffler.
    White 2005 LJ Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Pro Comp 315/75/16 Xtreme AT's,
    Pro Comp 97 16x8 Wheels, Teraflex quick disconnects, Prothane 1" BL, JKS 1" MML,tow hooks front and rear, Brushguard, 10,000 lb. Winch, 2 fog & 2 driving lights, fire extinguisher, CB radio, synthetic fluids, K&N filter, free flow muffler.

You do not need to run hubs with a front locker. I've been running a front Lockright for a few months with no "unpredictable steering behavior." In 2-high, I barely hear a clicking noise when I turn, and occasionally get a little bucking if I try to make a fast U-turn. Otherwise, I don't even know it's there until I lock it into 4WD.

Front hubs would be a nice addition, but they're not required.

------------------
    1998 TJ Sport, 4.0, 5-speed
    COMPLETED MODS:
    4.10s/rear Detroit, front Lockright, JB Conversions SYE, Tera 2-Low, OME lift, 31x10.5 Pathfinders, DB Fab front/Olympic rear bumpers, Rusty's engine skid, Tomken gas tank skid, Turbo City side bars
    My Pics
    1998 TJ, 4.0, 5-speed
    D44/HP D30, 4.88s and Detroits, Tera 4:1 and 2-Low, 35's
    Will work for Jeep parts

My Pics

Registered

I'm running a Lockright up front (installed 9 months ago). In 2WD I cannot tell it's even there 99% of time time. Ocassionally on tight or quick turns I'll get one or a few clicks but that's about it. In 4WD it does have some minor quirks but it varies with the terrain. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, sometimes the steering feels tight. I've gotten used to it and it's not a problem for me. Actually, ehen I first installed the front locker I was expecting the handling characteristics to be a lot worse.

------------------
    Alan

'97 TJ SE
    Alan

'97 TJ SE - 31's, budget boost, and a few other things
    '91 XJ Limited - 235's, budget boost

Registered

I have a No SLip in each axel. The front is invisible in 2WD absolutely ZERO steering issues. Mine does not click or pop at all. The rear is predictable in tight turns as it might chirp or buck if you are moving slow. You'll have great success with a EZ locker or No Slip.

------------------
    1996 ZJ 5.2
    1999 TJ 4.0 5spd.
    too many mods too list e-mail me!!
    2008 Honda CR-V EX-L
    2003 Subaru Forester XS

My TJ's new front No-Slip has been in several months now and I can't tell it's there in 2wd.

------------------
    See the Geezer Jeep at
    http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/gallery/JBransfordsTJ/
    Bob Supplee: supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry Bransford:
    My TJ's new front No-Slip has been in several months now and I can't tell it's there in 2wd.

</font>
    Jerry, can you briefly explain the difference between the TJ front drive assembly and a YJ?
    Why would the engineer at Tractech say that the TJ has a "live axle" and I should not put a locker in it unless I install hubs?
    White 2005 LJ Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Pro Comp 315/75/16 Xtreme AT's,
    Pro Comp 97 16x8 Wheels, Teraflex quick disconnects, Prothane 1" BL, JKS 1" MML,tow hooks front and rear, Brushguard, 10,000 lb. Winch, 2 fog & 2 driving lights, fire extinguisher, CB radio, synthetic fluids, K&N filter, free flow muffler.

Registered
    TJs are a "live axel"
    but the lockers are torque sensitive and in 2WD the T/C does not supply the front shaft with power, hence the locker will not lock.

------------------
    '00 TJ http://communities.msn.com/TheMINIHummer
    "The brave may not live for ever, but, the cautious do not live at all!"
    '00 TJ, 4.0, locked, 5" lift, M8000, custom cage, bumpers and armor. http://communities.msn.com/TheMINIHummer
    "The brave may not live for ever, but, the cautious do not live at all!"

Randy TJ, you're rigth, there are quite a few that have front TJ lockers w/o doing hub conversions. I dare say there are hundreds on this board alone that have done exactly this. Put your locker in and forget about - no need to install locking hubs. Worst case scenario is Tractech might not warranty the locker if it should fail and they come to learn you've installed it on a TJ w/o doing a hub conversion - but there are a pittiful few who've had to worry about making a claim. But keep in mind you'll need to stay modest in your tire size. If you try and run more than say 33" tires, you are running a higher risk of a D30 locked axel failing.

[This message has been edited by RC TeeJay (edited 04-06-2002).]
    1999 TJ

Registered

"Why would the engineer at Tractech say that the TJ has a "live axle" and I should not put a locker in it unless I install hubs?"

All Jeeps have "Live axels" this means that the entire driveline is rotating with the vehicle regardless of the TC setting. It isn't a concern really with a 2wd option on the TC cause no torque is going to the front axel.
    Now I was worried about the True Trac in my ZJ's D30 because of the 249 TC. It added a slightly heavy, sedated feel to the steering. I consider the TT a very worthwhile addition to the ZJ.
    I have No Slip's F&R in the TJ and love them. The rear does chirp slightly in slow speed tight turns

------------------
    1996 ZJ 5.2
    1999 TJ 4.0 5spd.
    too many mods too list e-mail me!!
    2008 Honda CR-V EX-L
    2003 Subaru Forester XS

Registered

Isn't there a disconnect on the TJ's front axle like the YJ's?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GrimmReaper:
    Isn't there a disconnect on the TJ's front axle like the YJ's?</font>
    There isn't a disconnect on TJs.

But back to the original question, I've never heard of a problem with running a front locker in a TJ while you're in 2wd.

It does cause the steering to be slightly heavier. Really! It does. Really subtle difference, though. Only other thing is you can get a front LockRite into that clangy-changy mode if you yank the steering wheel just right at super low speeds. That happened to me about once a month in parking lots. No big deal, just noise.

Been running No Slips f&r now for 2 yrs or so and no problems without hubs

------------------
    Felix

1998 TJ Sport 5sp. 2.5 OME, 1.25 JKS BL, 1 Currie MM, D30 w/No Slip, D44/No Slip, Adj Tera Trackbars, disco's, 32's on RC's. 12 stack CD, Uniden CB, GPS, racks, aftermarket exhaust,custom f&r bumpers by Bill, recovery gear, etc, etc.. one understanding wife in the passenger seat.
    Wallet on empty.
    Member of: www.AZVJC.org type..IL for now
    SIJA, MWJT, MJE, UFWDA, SWFWDA
    Felix

1998 TJ Sport, Lifted, locked D30/44, Kilby, SkidRow, homemade bumpers, (Sold MM Hyd 9k) Warn XD9k winch, disco's, etc, etc.. one understanding wife in the passenger seat. Wallet on empty. Motorcycle for those bad trail days.

Lost AZVJC sheep. From Phx to Peoria, IL....err.. to El Paso, TX, now Reeves County TX.. Damn, I keep making a bad left somewhere on the way home.

PBJ & Milk...

cyber wheeler

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RandyTJ:
    btt</font>
    The consensus is in. What other info do you seek with your BTT?
    Jim M

12 JK Rubi 4DR (stock-ish)
    04 WJ Ltd (stock)

Rereading the original post... I would recommend the LockRite over the NoSlip.

Someone on here recently posted about some NoSlip troubles. As in, it slipped!

Being the NoSlip's big advantage over the LockRite is smoothness on the street I can't see any reason to go with a NoSlip in the front since it won't matter in 2wd.