Thread: ##DOOR HINGE WELDS#####

Registered

Post ##DOOR HINGE WELDS#####

How many of you have cracks in the upper portion of their door hinge on the portion of the hinge that is welded to the body? This causes the door to sag and close hard.

Registered

It also doesnt allow the seals to line up and drasticaly increases the wind noise in the cabin. I had a sagging drivers side door but $5 and a nice guy at a muffler shop corrected the problem nicely.

Just hold the door up and hit the cleaned hinge with a welder.
    Billy Hirsch, EMT/FF
    -------------------------
    95 XJ 4.0 I6
    3" Rustys Lift, RE LCA's, K&N Filtercharger, 31x10.5x15 AT's,
    FlowMaster exhaust, 3 row GDI, lots of toys on the inside.

My buddies dad re-welded mine, but now ive got a nice dent in the front fender from not being careful. Oh well!

Bryan

------------------
    1987 XJ....
    Warn Brush Guard, Warn 9500i Winch, 3" Superlift,31's, FRS Radio, full size spare on roof, hi-lift, shovel, light bar (4 lights), 2 10"s in the back, and many more little do-dads. I will be getting more lift and bigger tires as the money rolls in. i'm also building nurf bars soon.

What is you anti scratch device? Mine is to turn the music up ALL THE WAY!
    -2004 Jeep Liberty
    -1990 XJ
    -1983 Cherokee (parts rig)
    -1979 Wagoneer....Chopped top, 3 in body lift, 4 in Rusty's kit, 36's....
    -1956 Willys PU rat rod project

Many Jeeps R.I.P.

What year? 2 Door? Older 2 doors are prone to having this problem, way too common of an issue.
    Sometimes just re welding will hold for a while. I got fed up with it & had late model (98) XJ hinges welded in. Was told that these hinges were designed to correct this problem (not that the factory will admit it's a problem... ) & are slightly different in where they extend back for welding.
    "...the advice given above is somewhat arrogant and in some cases wrong..." . (I'm not an expert... I just play one on the internet.)

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website. _____________ Sure you're smart... but do you have what it takes to make "The List"?

1990 XJ

Registered
    I have welded both doors on my 93 4 door.
    My 87 and 88 had no problems.....

Registered

I've needin to get around to this on my 89. Also causes the weatherstripping to not seal properly and leaks like a civ when it rains
    89' XJ, 8.5", D44, YJ steering,35's, TJ flares, custom winch bumper, rear bumper and rockers in the works.

-"Com sa?"

Registered

I'm with yall on that one! My '95 2 door has had both the driver and passenger side top hinges re welded, i had them do the bottom while they were at it!! It sealed it up nice and no more wind noise at high speed!

------------------
    1995 Cherokee Sport, custom built safari rack, roof mounted spare, hella 500's on front bumper, 235's

"Real Jeeps have Square Lights!"
    '87 XJ, RE4.5, 33's, D44, Lock-Rite, OBA - SOLD
    '95 XJ, RE 3.5, 32 Swampers, Welded Rear -SOLD
    '99 TJ - Build in Progress

Thumbs down

Thats a Chrysler era XJ for ya. AMC XJs do not have these problems for the most part. My 86 and 89 XJs had perfect door hinges, the 89 was a very used and abused 2 door with 240k miles, hinges were like new.

XJguy

------------------
    Lifetime member North American XJ Association www.NAXJA.org
    ------------------
    86 3.0 supercharged Cherokee Warrior, Lowered XJguy's Warrior
    92 4.0 AW4 Selec-Trac Laredo XJ, Lifted
    ------------------
    Performance Utility Vehicles producers of needed XJ products and accessories.

"It's a Jeep (XJ) Thing and We Understand"
    Team 11 Hurst/Olds on Bullrun

Can somebody please post a picture of the updated door hinges?

------------------
    97 2-door 5-speed XJ
    "Yes, you really do need tow hooks!"
    Trail Crew SoCal 4x4 Club

Registered

Had mine welded. Be sure to bend them back into place to realign your door.
    1988 XJ Limited
    6.5" lift without SYE , Rancho RS5000s, RE discos, 35x12.50 Mud King XTs on 15x8 AR chrome mods

Pics of my Jeep (XJ and website under construction)
    "You never have to ask a man if he's a Texan; if he is, he'll be sure to let you know." - Chester William Nimitz, Fleet Admiral, US Navy

Registered
    Those dang hinges are just one more item on my list of "things to take care" of on my 89 Driver's side (both top and bottom) have to be bent back and welded. Passenger side is still ok..

Also worth noting, on my driver's side the "stop" that keeps the door from swinging out too far, and holds it open, is busted... I'm not sure if that was also a common occurance just prior to the hinges tearing

------------------
    89 XJ Laredo
    stock
    2001 WJ Laredo

(97 ZJ Orvis - scrapped)
    (89 XJ Laredo -sold)

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Craig89XJ:
    Those dang hinges are just one more item on my list of "things to take care" of on my 89 Driver's side (both top and bottom) have to be bent back and welded. Passenger side is still ok..

Also worth noting, on my driver's side the "stop" that keeps the door from swinging out too far, and holds it open, is busted... I'm not sure if that was also a common occurance just prior to the hinges tearing

</font>
    I was to cheap to buy a new check strap, so I took one from my back door and used it on the front.

My weld popped off on my '87, the top came undone and when I got the top welded, welded the bottom too, it would have been next.

Bryan

------------------
    1987 XJ....
    Warn Brush Guard, Warn 9500i Winch, 3" Superlift,31's, FRS Radio, full size spare on roof, hi-lift, shovel, light bar (4 lights), 2 10"s in the back, and many more little do-dads. I will be getting more lift and bigger tires as the money rolls in. i'm also building nurf bars soon.

What is you anti scratch device? Mine is to turn the music up ALL THE WAY!
    -2004 Jeep Liberty
    -1990 XJ
    -1983 Cherokee (parts rig)
    -1979 Wagoneer....Chopped top, 3 in body lift, 4 in Rusty's kit, 36's....
    -1956 Willys PU rat rod project

Many Jeeps R.I.P.

Registered
    I had this problem on my 93 XJ, but instead of fixing it, I just sold it and bought some new hinges....that came on my 99XJ.

------------------
    My Jeep is a hobby, but Jesus is my life! More about Jesus...My Faith

1999 Chilli Pepper Red Sport XJ; Rusty's 1.75" BB ; 30 x 9.5 Bridgestone Dueler AT's; Rusty's Intake Tube w/a huge 6x9" K&N Cone Air Filter; Yakima rack w/Fairing; Pioneer DEH-p6300 CD w/2 10" JBL subs
    and a custom tool box in the back cargo area.
    My Jeep is a hobby, but Jesus is my life! More about Jesus...Go Here

Silver 07 Unlimited Sahara 4x4
    2.5" Skyjacker suspension lift w/ shocks
    Dick Cepek FC II 33x12.5x16
    Cragar Soft 8's w/5" back space
    4 Pro Comp Motorsports Driving Lights
    & a bunch of other stuff.

My.Project-JK-com

1999 Chilli Pepper Red Sport XJ; Rusty's 3" Spring pack kit on top of a Rusty's 1.75" Spacer & Shackle BB ; 30 x 9.5 Bridgestone Dueler AT's; Rusty's Intake Tube w/a huge 6x9" K&N Cone Air Filter; 62mm over-bored Throttle Body; Yakima rack w/Fairing; Pioneer DEH-p6300 CD and a custom tool box in the back cargo area.

Registered
    there is a tsb for that something about a brace for the hinge need it done but like everone havent your deeler can provide the info

------------------