I replaced my alternator (180 amp!!) and battery last week, at start up (fast idle) and while driving (or parked and stepping on the gas) the volt meter on the gauge cluster is up above 13 and the reading at the battery is about 14 volts.
After it is warmed up, the reading drops to 12 at the battery and drops below 13 on the gayge cluster. This wouldn't be a concern, but the headlights and other accessories dim/slowdown noticeably when sitting at stop signs, etc.
I don't remember this happening before the old alternator went bad. It seems like the battery should read around 12 when the car is off and 13-14 at idle. Could it be a bad ground? Broken wire? Is this normal?
Thanks for the help.
87 XJ Pioneer