Thread: TOO MUCH Transmission fluid?????

'Murdered-Out' WJ...

Post TOO MUCH Transmission fluid?????

what happens when there is too much transmission fluid in your car?? it reads just above the FULL line on the dipstick...

------------------
    Mike C
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    3" Rough Country lift (long AAL), 2 inch Rubicon Express spacers, ProComp ES2000 stabilizer, 50 series 2 chamber flowmaster exhaust, 231 T-case, American Racing AR-73 15x8 rims, and 32x11.50 ProComp ATs!!!! -- gettin a conferr roof rack soon...

Good times!!
    Mike

2002 WJ Laredo
    -4.7L V8-Quadra-Trac II

-4" RC Lift
    -33x12.50 MasterCraft Courser MTs
    -15x8 Cragar Soft 8's

If the shoe dont fit, the fits gonna hit the shan...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigMikeXJ:
    what happens when there is too much transmission fluid in your car?? it reads just above the FULL line on the dipstick...

</font>
    If its an AT, I can tell you from experience that it will be okay. when it gets really hot it may overflow through the vent tubes under the hood. Pretty Stout tranny.

------------------
    MY OTHER OFFROADER IS A DESTROYER!!
    MY OTHER OFFROADER IS A DESTROYER!!

'Murdered-Out' WJ...

it is AT, so what vents does it leak through??

------------------
    Mike C
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    3" Rough Country lift (long AAL), 2 inch Rubicon Express spacers, ProComp ES2000 stabilizer, 50 series 2 chamber flowmaster exhaust, 231 T-case, American Racing AR-73 15x8 rims, and 32x11.50 ProComp ATs!!!! -- gettin a conferr roof rack soon...

Good times!!
    Mike

2002 WJ Laredo
    -4.7L V8-Quadra-Trac II

-4" RC Lift
    -15x8 Cragar Soft 8's

Registered

that same thing happened to me i have an auto as well, it hasnt hurt it yet and it did leak (whew-im glad that was all that was)

------------------
    1988 xj 4.0 auto (dang auto) 3" lift, 31" tires, K&N air filter, cai, dynomax exhaust, many more mods&gt; go to&gt; http://hjeepxj.tripod.com/jeep ps i hope i run mid to high 16's (1/4)
    1988 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1994 Chevrolet K2500

1989 Jeep Cherokee XJ - SOLD!!

Registered

At highway speed it will built pressure and start blowing seals...
    How over full is it?

'Murdered-Out' WJ...
    its just like barely over full, not that much at all - but when the weather is cold outside, my transmission slips and doesnt stay in gear sometimes, and i was wondering if this has anything to do with it???

------------------
    Mike C
    Kennesaw, Georgia

Good times!!
    Mike

2002 WJ Laredo
    -4.7L V8-Quadra-Trac II

-4" RC Lift
    -15x8 Cragar Soft 8's

'Murdered-Out' WJ...

nice attempt to be funny, but that made no sense and it was retarded. peace...

------------------
    Mike C
    Kennesaw, Georgia

Good times!!
    Mike

2002 WJ Laredo
    -4.7L V8-Quadra-Trac II

-4" RC Lift
    -15x8 Cragar Soft 8's

there can be only one

if it's only a tiny bit overfilled, you will probably be ok, and the AW4 doesn't seem to be quite as sensitive as some trannies are-however, if it's greatly overfilled, the fluid can get aerated, reducing its ability to protect the parts and build up pressure, making your shifting pretty screwy and eventually being bad for the transmission. my experience is that within 1/4" of the line is probably not very harmful, but i would drain some out if it were any higher than that.
    push the seat back a little lower-watch light bend in the blower. planets align. a king is born.

'Murdered-Out' WJ...

where do you drain it out from??

------------------
    Mike C
    Kennesaw, Georgia

Good times!!
    Mike

2002 WJ Laredo
    -4.7L V8-Quadra-Trac II

-4" RC Lift
    -15x8 Cragar Soft 8's

Registered

There's a plug on the bottom of the transmission pan, just like an oil plug drain. And yeah, drain some out if its overfilled.

'Murdered-Out' WJ...

when i pull the plug, is it just gonna like poor out hardcore? or a little at a time? and how much should i let out??

------------------
    Mike C
    Kennesaw, Georgia

Good times!!
    Mike

2002 WJ Laredo
    -4.7L V8-Quadra-Trac II

-4" RC Lift
    -15x8 Cragar Soft 8's

Registered

Not really hardcore, just a steady stream. Do it when its cold and stick the plug back up there after a second, you'll get it all over your hands but you can control how much comes out that way. If you're just a little over, drain a half quart or a little more then warm it up, check the level again and top it up if necessary. If you're a lot over drain a whole quart or more and then top up.

Registered

You're right, it's gonna pour out quickly. What the hell..what will it hurt to drain it and start over with new ATF? Just go slowly and keep checking it while your Jeep is running (in nuetral). Takes patience and a lot of re-checking. Dont try to check it cold because you will get an inaccurate reading. DON'T OVERFILL WARNING IS ALL OVER YOUR FSM FOR A REASON! Good Luck!

Registered

Unhappy

I had my automatic tranny on my 99xj serviced twice at the jeep dealer and realized each time that it was way overfilled (like an inch over full). I questioned them on this and they said it was not a problem to have more fluid. Well, last week I noticed one of my transmission lines leaking around the seal (rubber to metal). Could this be caused by the pressure?

Registered

filling a tranny is not an exact science. As we all know tranny fluid expands a lot, so unless it is checked every day as the weather changes and as your driving style changes it will be slightly different each day. he said it is just a hair over, no biggie. In my drag racing world a lot of people myself included overfill 1/2 to 1 quart for slightly more pressure and to assure proper lubrication under extreme acceleration. my vots just leave it as it is.

------------------
    '90 XJ lots of toys... say 38's look pretty cool, project still comming along
    new toy '91 YJ soon to be SOA
    other misc fast cars and a tow vehicle
    '90 XJ lots of toys... 36" Irok's
    '91 YJ SOA
    '83 CJ-7 mostly just parts
    other misc fast cars and a tow vehicle

Registered

FYI, I was looking up something else in my FSM and noticed a little drawing about ATF fluid level. It says do not drive if the ATF level is 7/8 below the add line or 1 inch above the full line - so apparently being a little over is okay. If it was more than a little over I think I'd drain some anyway, just because its so easy, but 1/4 inch is probably harmless.

Also, the problem with overfilling, according to the FSM, is that the fluid will get foamy and lose some of its lubricating ability.

Just wanted to add this correction since I was in the group that said drain some if you're even a little over.