Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jeep 4.0 turbo and stroker kits

Post Jeep 4.0 turbo and stroker kits

I've stumbled across a company, while browsing the web, that supplies a Turbo Kit, a 4.7L stroker kit and a TB/injection kit for the 4.0 I6 engine. I've never heard of them before. Has anyone else? Here's the link:
    http://www.bearturbo.com/index.htm

Their prices seem very steep to me though from the description given on their site, they are using top brand name parts.
    Opinions please?

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

Yeah that seems quite steep in price. But it is the first stuff for the 4.7 so I guess if you have to have it you get to pay.
    * Magnum 6.7 STROKER 408*
    ARB's, 33's,s 8 rancho's winch...

Registered

And I thought HESCO was pricey! But then; those folks with the big bucks live in CA and they have to spend it somewhere.

Registered

Sent them an email to see if they had dyno numbers, etc...

------------------
    98 CharGold JGC Laredo 4.0 I6 4WD Selec-Trac 3:73 ratio.Tera 2" BB using stock spacers, UC springs,Edlebrock IAS XLS shocks,Energy Suspension bushings, Mopar Front/Transfer Case/Rear skids, Goodyear AT/S 31"x10.5" tires, MSD Ignition Wires, Bosch Platinum+4 Plugs,180 Thermo,TC thermo housing, TC Air Tube, Poweraid TBS, Kolak Headlight Harness w/ PIAA Superwhites, ** Kolak 70 series Cat 'N Back Exhaust with Mike Leach Headers **
    My Jeep Pics!
    98 ZJ 4.0 ST 4.56,Dual TrueTracs, Kolak 70 Series Exhaust with Leach Header, Tera UC BB, OME SD40, RE Adj. Trackbar, Pro-Comp MX-6 Adj shocks , Mopar skids, Goodyear AT/S 31" tires, TC Rock-It Air Tube, Self Ported/Polished TB, Addco Front Anti-Sway bar, TC Thermo Housing, 180* Thermo

Originally posted by Dino Savva:
    I've stumbled across a company, while browsing the web, that supplies a Turbo Kit, a 4.7L stroker kit and a TB/injection kit for the 4.0 I6 engine. I've never heard of them before. Has anyone else? Here's the link:
    http://www.bearturbo.com/index.htm

Their prices seem very steep to me though from the description given on their site, they are using top brand name parts.
    Opinions please?
    Hey guys,anyone wanting a stroker can easily do a home kit for far less with equal performance gains.Find a local speed shop you trust and find a good 258 crank and rods,press off 4.0 rods and then press 258 rods onto 4.0's pistons.complete job with correct rod/mains and enjoy, and smile with all that extra cash in your pocket!I don't know if the hesco or the other place Dino found are using 4.0 rods,but if they are the advantage of the longer 6.125/4.0 rod vs. the 5.895/258 [4.2] rod should not be that much better.I built one like this when I lunched a crank and part of a rod out of a .060 over 258 and finished the year with the above combo then turned around and sold the short block 10 years ago,its still alive today seeing 6000 rpms all the time.Anyone wanting more info let me know.I think I have a grand total in my short block of around $ 2000 bucks and it has alm. flat tops, stock 4.0 rods that had all the tricks,258 crank,quality pump,complete assembly balanced incl. rods balanced from end to end.I spin this motor regularly to 6500 and this is the 3rd season on it.It has also seen 7200 from time to time.

[This message has been edited by sixpak6 (edited 03-15-2001).]
    sixpak6

Originally posted by sixpak6:
    Hey guys,anyone wanting a stroker can easily do a home kit for far less with equal performance gains.Find a local speed shop you trust and find a good 258 crank and rods,press off 4.0 rods and then press 258 rods onto 4.0's pistons.complete job with correct rod/mains and enjoy, and smile with all that extra cash in your pocket!I don't know if the hesco or the other place Dino found are using 4.0 rods,but if they are the advantage of the longer 6.125/4.0 rod vs. the 5.895/258 [4.2] rod should not be that much better.I built one like this when I lunched a crank and part of a rod out of a .060 over 258 and finished the year with the above combo then turned around and sold the short block 10 years ago,its still alive today seeing 6000 rpms all the time.Anyone wanting more info let me know.I think I have a grand total in my short block of around $ 2000 bucks and it has alm. flat tops, stock 4.0 rods that had all the tricks,258 crank,quality pump,complete assembly balanced incl. rods balanced from end to end.I spin this motor regularly to 6500 and this is the 3rd season on it.It has also seen 7200 from time to time.

I've thought about doing this, but isn't there much more needed for a quality kit other than a 258 crank? What about rods, pistons, rings, cam, etc? Accurate power has a relatively cheap stroker kit that has all of the above.

[This message has been edited by dannyw (edited 03-15-2001).]
    ZJ

E39 M5 fund balance: $560 ETA: 2 yrs

Red face

HOLY PISTONS BATMAN!! $4000 for a stroker? Are they out of their minds?? What kinda doobies were they smoking???
    Last edited by LoTGoD; 07-14-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    ZJ

E39 M5 fund balance: $560 ETA: 2 yrs

Registered

From what I understand using just a 258 crank and rods in a 4.0L (about $150 bucks from a good salvage yard through in some good bearings and push it up to $200) will yeild 9.4:1 compression which should be pump gas compatible. You might run into some fuel starvation so some 20% over or so injectors would be advisable, this should yeild around 250 hp give or take for less than $1000 pretty cool huh!
    Just my nickel (was $0.02 darn inflation )

- 2006 Liberty Sport CRD "Smogger", Dark Khaki, stock and staying that way. P.S. I am slowly getting addicted to SIRIUS.............

- 82 CJ-8 Light Khaki metallic restored. 4.0L engine and fuel injection rebuilt and ready for transplant.

-99 TJ "sport" 4.0L auto sold to my father, oh well I can still borrow it.

-93 YJ (RIP 9/6/04) oh well the 4.0L 32RH will nicely replace the CJ8s 4.2L TF999.

All that is needed is the crank AND rods from the 258.Just order the correct bearings for rods and mains depending on the crank you end up with --std.,-.010 under and ect.,let who ever is checking or reconditioning the crank condition tell you that.As for cams and lifters keep the lobe seperation arouond 112 degrees or so as to let the computer get good vac signals to the map sensor and so on.Keep duration around or less than 220 but keep in mind about our friends at the E check stations. Clay Smith or Reed cams should be more than willing to help.The only reason my short block cost a little higher is the custom made flat tops that were made to put in the longer 6.125 rods.Not to mention I went to some other little details to ensure it would live up in higher rpms that this motor sees.Just go with a good brand name like SPEED PRO for rings and do a good hone job before reassembling.Don't let anyone fool you about making it sound like involves a lot of "special" machining,they are just blowing smoke up your ....Building a stroker is just like swapping parts in small block chevys.And SURE, like and jim bob I to would build and sell strokers at a reduced price of 3995.00 to under cut the other guys!

[This message has been edited by sixpak6 (edited 03-16-2001).]
    sixpak6

Registered

The engine used in wranglers before the 4.0L introduction in the early 90's was a 4.2L engine designed by AMC I believe.

------------------
    1988 Cherokee w 4.0L
    Dana 44 rear, 98 AX-15 manual tranny, jacobs ignition, K&N, Full skids, 4.5" RE lift, 32" BFG AT KO's, roof rack, 2.25" stainless exhaust, no cat, 3.54 gearing, zj front brakes, plus all the little things.
    Stroked 88 XJ slammed with 35's

there can be only one

the 258 is the old amc inline 6, predecessor to the 4.0. it was used in a lot of vehicles, including ramblers, gremlins, and many models of jeeps. the yj used the 4.2 until (what i've read) '91-the xj, mj, zj, and wj have never had a 4.2 from the factory. there are many mods done both to the 4.2 and 4.0's that involve parts from the other, and there are many compatible parts between the two.
    push the seat back a little lower-watch light bend in the blower. planets align. a king is born.

I was told that there could be a problem when putting a 4.0 flywheel on the 258 crank.It may be nec. to machine the o.d. of the back face where the crank meets the flywheel.I was told the 258 crank o.d. is slightly larger than the area opened up to take the crank on the back of the flywheel.Who ever responded above me here is correct and although there are several differant cranks in the 258 AMC's,any of them will work.Some cranks have many more counter weights than others,the strongest and most durable ones have 12 counterweights and come from the early 70's.
    sixpak6

Talking

Well I never said that they were cheap.
    BTW forgive my ignorance, but what do the mnemonics ROFLMAO and LOL stand for?

AX15, NP231, D30/D35

Registered

Originally posted by Dino Savva:
    Well I never said that they were cheap.
    BTW forgive my ignorance, but what do the mnemonics ROFLMAO and LOL stand for?
    They are popular shorthand in chat rooms, email, and such..

ROFLMAO= Rolling on the Floor Laughing my ("butt") Off

LOL= Laughing Out Loud

------------------
    98 CharGold JGC Laredo 4.0 I6 4WD Selec-Trac 3:73 ratio.Tera 2" BB using stock spacers, UC springs,Edlebrock IAS XLS shocks,Energy Suspension bushings, Mopar Front/Transfer Case/Rear skids, Goodyear AT/S 31"x10.5" tires, MSD Ignition Wires, Bosch Platinum+4 Plugs,180 Thermo,TC thermo housing, TC Air Tube, Poweraid TBS, Kolak Headlight Harness w/ PIAA Superwhites, ** Kolak 70 series Cat 'N Back Exhaust with Mike Leach Headers **
    My Jeep Pics!
    98 ZJ 4.0 ST 4.56,Dual TrueTracs, Kolak 70 Series Exhaust with Leach Header, Tera UC BB, OME SD40, RE Adj. Trackbar, Pro-Comp MX-6 Adj shocks , Mopar skids, Goodyear AT/S 31" tires, TC Rock-It Air Tube, Self Ported/Polished TB, Addco Front Anti-Sway bar, TC Thermo Housing, 180* Thermo

Registered

Wink

Interesting thread. Looks like basic shadetree mechanics can build a super 6. I looked at the site Dino found. What gets me, apart from the prices, is the lack of detailed information, especially on the turbo. Is it water cooled? Do they make the header, or is it a Borla (said ss,) and how would you route the air pipe? After putting in my Mike Leach header, I really appreciate the lack of room.

Yeah, a lotta dough. I'd rather do the salvage stroker thing. Or put in a turbine...

------------------
    >-- Doug -->

'96 ZJ Laredo 4.0L NP242, Dark Rosewood. Skidplate group and Kolak exhaust; Edelbrock IAS shocks; Big-O Bigfoot Dualgroove ATs, Amsoil air filter; Mobil 1 oil, filter and gearlube. Swingaway tire carrier. Magnecor wires. FlowKooler water pump, Robertshaw balanced tstat and Amsoil PG coolant.
    Coming soon: Jacobs Ultra Team Mileage Master ignition, Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass oil filter, Addco swaybars, euro lamps, a website and more!
    Doug

'07 WK Limited CRD: Woo-Hoo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    '96 ZJ Laredo 4.0L: Gone, but not forgotten. :bewhew:

I wasn't exactly impressed with the Bear Turbo site either. The parts are far too costly and there's too little detail about both the turbo and the stroker kits. I'd stick with Accurate Power. Their prices are reasonable and Mike at Accurate Power seems very knowledgeable and is definitely very helpful.
    For information on other turbo/supercharger/stroker options go to the appropriate page on my website. It looks like the only other viable options come from Hesco.

------------------
    1992 4.0 XJ Laredo, 5sp AX15 manual, 134000 miles.
    Estimated 222hp/263lbft.
    0-60 in 6.8 secs, 1/4 mile 89.2mph/15.6secs, top speed 116mph (limited), 23.0mpg.

My website: www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

[This message has been edited by Dino Savva (edited 03-24-2001).]

AX15, NP231, D30/D35

Registered

I am with most of the folks here I am going with a salvage yard stroker when my rebuild comes up, I could use a little extra HP to overcome all those fun mods but prefer to put my performance money in other toys
    Just my nickel (was $0.02 darn inflation )

- 2006 Liberty Sport CRD "Smogger", Dark Khaki, stock and staying that way. P.S. I am slowly getting addicted to SIRIUS.............

- 82 CJ-8 Light Khaki metallic restored. 4.0L engine and fuel injection rebuilt and ready for transplant.

-99 TJ "sport" 4.0L auto sold to my father, oh well I can still borrow it.

-93 YJ (RIP 9/6/04) oh well the 4.0L 32RH will nicely replace the CJ8s 4.2L TF999.

dino... anything on a 5.2l+ turbo or twin t setup yet? I wont be able to watch this thread, so e-mail me anyone if you have any info.

thanks
    -geoff

mailto:geoff@centrifugepartners.com
    - - - - - - - - -
    M3 Black 95 LTD ZJ w/98 Cladding and Eddie Bauer Leather Seats

Mods: Hybrid Hampster wheel/Veggie oil engine

Registered

Yeah that Bear Company is very expensive. Did you see the injector/TB package...for a bored TB and high performance injectors they want $ 1200. Now let's see to get a TB done should cost around $ 200 and to get FMs Injectors maybe another $ 200. Hmm
    95 YJ, stock, blue, hard top 4.0 l K&N drop in, Zainoed, 235/75/R 15 BFG AT KOs

Shew, I don't check in for a few days, and look what happens. See http://www.accuratepower.com/Jeep/FAQ.html#stroker for stroker FAQ's. Just visit http://www.accuratepower.com/Jeep for everything 4.0. Enjoy, MIKE

------------------
    302-992-9606
    302-992-9880
    '00 Supercharged XJ
    '97 TJ
    '96 Stroked (4" Bore) ZJ
    Working on Stroker CJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast