PDA

View Full Version : Which shock for SOA?

budman
07-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Its time to replace my leaking Rancho 9000's on my SOA YJ. I was pretty happy with these shocks but was wondering what others preferred. I am only going to replace the front for now. I am also going to use the M.O.R.E. shock extensions. I was considering some Bilsteins but heard they might be too stiff. FYI, the Ranchos did last about 7-8 years and are probably only leaking because the cans are so beat up.

James (Cubby) Culbertson
07-10-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm in the same situation. I have some Doestch Techs that I've been happy with but they are shot so it's time for something new. I've been looking at the Bilstein's and think that's the way I'm going to go. Only problem is figuring out which version/sizing to get. I tried to max out the flex to measure in my driveway and maxed out my hilift jack before being able to get any measurements. I may just have to head to a shop and have them use their lift to tell me what sort of travel I need (SOA with zero lift springs). I've only heard good things about the Bilsteins.
Cheers,
cc

phillipyj
07-10-2007, 08:52 AM
bilstein 5100 or the bilstein 5150 cross flow shocks. uncompromising ride and moderatley priced for the style and function.

eshocks.com

74.50 i believe for the 5100's in the soa application. and 89 i think for the 5150's but great people to deal with and fast shipping.

wcjp
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm using the MORE extensions front/rear. My shocks are mounted upside down. The can has never been hit. When I was SUA, I had DT's. The cans were toast when I decided to go SOA.

Bought my Rancho 9k's from www.samsoffroad.com

Joe Dillard
07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I ran the Rancho RS9000's can up for ~5 years & liked them. But I did eventually damage a can, bent the shock shaft, started spouting oil, then froze-up on me eventually.

At first I was going to just replace the 1 shock, but then I got a company bonus (sort of) and decided to look around at other shocks.

I decided to get some :blingx2: and went with Fox emulsions with 30/90 valving. Although I rarely drive it on the street/hwy, it feels more stable, and absorbs bumps & dips very well. Off-road, they work well too. They are rebuildable & you can dial-in the valving as you see fit.

Fronts are ~32" extended while rears are ~26".

http://www.fototime.com/9525DBBD385A62E/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/FE07610D560BFDA/standard.jpg

budman
07-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys, thinking about trying some Bilstiens.

Shadly1
07-14-2007, 01:58 AM
I have the 5100s. Good shocks, but they definitely don't make up for my crappy springs. They do everything a good shock should... plus they look purdy.

Hey, isn't the idea to get the longest shock humanly possible and then figure out how to mount it without punching holes in the fenders?